Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Spring's First Arrival" 24x24 Acrylic on canvas


Spring is finally here! And to celebrate its arrival, I painted this Landscape and added this beautiful bird perched on a cherry blossom branch. The bird is a Western Tanager, an American songbird. It has a wide migrating range and reaches as far north as British Columbia, Canada. As I was planning this painting, I wanted to add something else into the painting to make it more interesting and found photos of this bird in a reference book at the library, which helped me see what the bird actually looked like. I was attracted to its bright colors and decided to incorporate this bird and the cherry blossom branch which is also a symbol of renewal in to this painting. I hope that I have achieved in this painting, a feeling of depth and calm serenity to my viewers. Enjoy the nice weather while its here. 

2 comments:

Lady Godiva said...

the blossoms look wonderful.. so inviting I can almost smell them:)

Marie Flynn said...

Lady Godiva,Thank you for your comment. The blossoms were somewhat tricky,wanting them to look real but focusing more attention to the bird instead. Glad you like it!