Sunday, April 03, 2011

Painting in Progress, White Rose close up



I rented a movie over the weekend about Georgia O'Keeffe, a very famous American Artist. It starred, American actress Joan Allen as Georgia and Jeremy Irons as Alfred Stieglitz. To make a long story short, it was done in 2009 but I had not seen it till now. I really enjoyed watching this film, the performances were absolutely wonderful and you got to see in the film some Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings ( not sure if they are the real ones shown) and watched her (Joan) paint on the canvas like Georgia did, in her style. I got so inspired that I had to try to paint a large flower painting in her style myself. Its very hard to see by the photo what the flower looks like. The flower I'm doing is a type of white rose, taken up close. I have to use alot of titanium white and a little yellow ochre to get a creamy white, a bit of phthalo blue and a tiny bit of black to grey the colors a bit to get the shadows. I realize that its not easy to make a flower look white. You have trouble seeing the contrast between all the petals, but I am going to try to do my best on this one because this one will be my painting to hang in my home. ( not to suggest that I don't take care in all the paintings I do, well you know what I mean.) I do apologize for the condition of the photos! Will keep you posted.

No comments: