Saturday, April 23, 2011

"Pansy Print" 8x10 Acrylic on canvas


I didn't think that I would be painting pansies again, but they are one of my favorite garden flowers. They are easy to plant and care for, and come in many colors. I think the orange-yellows, blues or periwinkle varieties are the ones I like best. A few years back, while vacationing in Victoria, B.C., Canada., I spotted several planted rows of pansies in one of the many large flower beds that are situated by the harbor. Anyone who has been to the harbor in front of the Empress Hotel will know what I mean. Flowers are planted in large numbers all along the harbor and throughout the city every spring. You can't help but notice all the flower varieties, the city is a haven for flower lovers! While the tourists are taking camera pictures of the scenery, I seem to stick out from the rest and focus my camera on the flowers instead. My husband thinks I'm a little nuts, but does understand my need for reference photos to use in my paintings. The painting that I did above was done by combining 2 separate photos together, and I painted the flowers, leaves and stems at random against a dark blue background which was painted last. I find that as you look at it, it gives you the impression that you are looking at floral wallpaper. This little painting was a joy to paint.

No comments: