Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Venetian Vase and Grapes, still life 8x10 Acrylic on canvas



I love this small Still life painting, it reminds me of the Still life paintings that were done by the Old  Masters during the Renaissance period. I found and bought this Venetian style vase at an antique store and immediately fell in love with it. It's only 8 inches tall, very delicate and  has a beautiful color of a soft yellow with some orange highlights and the arms are a clear glass. Because I felt it had a roman look about it, I thought it might be fitting to paint it with the grapes which compliments it. The hardest part for me was the draping of the table cloth. I had to paint it several times before I was satisfied with the look. Now that it's done, and as time goes on into my painting endeavors, I am beginning to see real progression towards my painting style and the subjects that mean the most to me. Hope you like this one.

4 comments:

Karen Oliver said...

Wow, I love this painting. I was especially drawn to the fabulous way you painted the drape. It is such a soft elegant painting. You mentioned it was small, what size is it?

Marie Flynn said...

Thanks Karen, Love the cloth too,a friend gave me some helpful tips to paint the cloth using different colors that I hadn't thought of for this particular painting and it worked. This small painting is on a 8x10 1" canvas.

Dayna said...

Beautiful! Great job on the shadows. I especially love the vase and the shadow of the vase. The whole painting came together very nicely.

Marie Flynn said...

Thanks Dayna,I like how it turned out. By the way, thanks for the great advice on this one!