Thursday, April 12, 2012

LEOTIE 22x28 Colored Pencils on Starcke Fine Grit Sand Paper



This is the second drawing that I did of a young Aboriginal girl, some years ago, while taking art classes.
With the exception of only a few people, this drawing has never been seen by anyone else that I know since then. I had her tucked away in a special box and put away on a shelf in the basement of my home all this time. When I found her again, I noticed some of the colors had faded and some parts of the drawing were unfinished.
I decided to revitalize and finish what I had started and now she looks beautiful again. Not knowing what to title this drawing, I researched Aboriginal female names and among many, I chose to call her "Leotie", which means, "Flower of the Prairie". A beautiful name fitting for a lovely girl and a fabulous drawing.

2 comments:

Karen Oliver said...

What a delight to "re-find" a treasure like that. You really did a beautiful job on every part of this drawing-face, clothes, flowers and hair!!

Marie Flynn said...

Thanks so much Karen,I was very happy to come across her again among all the disorganized stuff in my basement, and also a real pleasure to be able to work on her too. So glad you like this drawing.
All the best!