Monday, December 24, 2012

Work in Progress 4 ~ Christmas Rose






It's starting to look more interesting now. Details are showing through. Lights and Darks are coming together. What is really interesting to note here, is that, there is no rhyme or reason to it, everything is random, leaves that may not normally be present with this particular rose, is present and those that should be, are there too. But somehow, it all works. Harmony.  Anything goes in Art! 



This is the first time I photographed my own hand showing how I get into those little nooks and crannies. Not an easy thing to do. You can see I'm using a detail brush. I'm big on those and have lots of them in my arsenal of brushes and a must if your a detailed artist like me. Here, I'm using a no.1 round and applying the paint in small careful strokes. I have to be totally relaxed when I do this so that I don't touch the already painted areas. "Yikes!"



My palette is very limited. It wasn't always this way, but over time, I've learned it's best to keep it that way. I like to mix only what is necessary for a painting, using pure opaque colors and a few transparent ones. And by the way, try making your own black. It doesn't show it but this paining has all the colors used in it to make black,with the exception of white and yellow. It's fun to try.

No comments: