Friday, April 20, 2012

Early Fall Harvest 30x30 Acrylic on canvas




Autumn was just beginning in Southern Alberta last year when I snapped this photo while out for a country drive. I think it was the positions of the hay bales and the flow of the landscape that caught my eye, because as you followed the hay bales, your eyes moved on up to the Foothills and the Mountain beyond. I remember at the time that I thought this scene would make a nice painting and I always meant to paint it eventually.

A few weeks ago, I began reading a particular book about landscape painting. I decided to try out the advice given in the book and decided to paint this scene from my photo.  The canvas is large and it took me 2 full days ( of course, with breaks in between ) to paint it. I think the finished painting looks better up close than what it may look like on computer monitors, because its very colorful and realistic looking. I also toned the canvas before starting as the book suggested, and allowed bits of color to shine through the painting, which adds the vitality to it. I hope you can see that.  All in all, I'm very pleased with the results and now I look forward to my next project and trying more of the techniques offered from the book.

8 comments:

Dayna said...

Beautiful. I especially love the colours and brushwork in the hills :)

Marie Flynn said...

Thank you Dayna, I enjoyed doing this one.

Magnetic Island Artist Edward Blum. said...

Your use of colour, light perspective are a joy to the eye. Everything about your art is inspiring. Breathtaking piece. Thank you so much for sharing your art work.

Marie Flynn said...

Hello Edward,Thanks so much for your lovely comment! It means so much to me, especially coming from such a talented artist as yourself.

Karen Oliver said...

Marie, I let my eyes hike through the pasture to the mountain beyond before I had read your description!! Beautiful painting, I can imagine how lovely it is in reality.

Marie Flynn said...

Oh Wow Karen,that's very interesting!I was hoping for that very thing to happen as viewers look at this painting. Glad you like it too.

Darlene Young said...

Good design. There his also a really good sense of depth in this painting. Great job. I like the subject too.

Marie Flynn said...

Thank you Darlene,I'm glad you like it. I like the sense of depth in it as well.