Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Painting in Progress 2

Now that I have completed most of the foliage at the bottom, I am now working on the flowers and their stems. I'm using Cad. Yellow medium straight from the tube, no mixing with any other color. Then I paint the entire flower with it. This is the dark tone. I then add a little Titanium White to the mix, for the mid-tones. I only paint the areas of the petals where they seem to be a little lighter, judging by the photo. When that's done, I then paint the highlights. These are usually the areas where the light would be the brightest on the petals or that the sun is hitting certain areas of the petals. I don't try to use pure white because this is much too bright to apply as is, instead I always add just a hint of the Cad. Yellow mixture to the white, always keeping it basically a white but dulling it a little. The flowers have some orange in them and so that's what I used is Cad. Orange for the most darkest areas of the flowers. These areas are shaded and can be used for the folds and indentations on the petals. Lastly, I use a touch of Sap Green with a little of the Cad. Yellow mixture that I've already started and then I carefully find some of the shaded petals that are blocked by other flowers and apply it there. Some artists use a transparent blue or green color to glaze shaded areas but I didn't use that here. With the flower centers, I used Cad. Red medium and Mars Black mixed together. It makes a wonderful reddish brown color. Then I used Dioxazine Purple mixed with a little white for those tiny highlighted section in the middle of the flower centers. Dabbed the centers with tiny dots of Cad. Yellow to show the pollen and that is it for the flowers. It won't be for another few days or so before I post #3, to allow me to finish this painting. I hope you'll stay tuned till then.

2 comments:

Dayna said...

I like seeing the in progress photos. I may try this approach on my blog too. And this is a really great painting Marie!

Marie Flynn said...

Thank you Dayna!. I appreciate your comment. If you do try this approach,I look forward to seeing it.

Marie