Saturday, October 08, 2011

"Choke Cherry Branch" 12x12 Acrylic on Canvas (Framed)



Just a little over a month ago, my husband and I and two of our friends, went out on a day trip to the Sheep River Valley. We made several stops to admire the views and take some pictures. It was a nice warm sunny day and the Fall colors hadn't really started yet, everything was still green. As we all walked along the banks of the Sheep River, I came up to a cluster of Choke Cherry shrubs. I thought they were beautiful because I liked how the little red berries made a nice contrast against the green leaves. Naturally, I took a picture of it. A couple of weeks ago, I formed an art group which meets to paint together weekly in a rented Studio space.  Last Sunday was our first painting session as a group and as anxious as I was, I was having some difficulties deciding what to bring with me to paint for my first session. Earlier in the day, I noticed the picture I took of the Choke Cherry shrub among other photos, just lying off to the side on my drafting table all this time. I guess I had forgotten about it. I took it with me to the Studio. Sure glad I did, I think it turned out well. 


4 comments:

Dayna said...

I love, love , love this one Marie! Beautiful composition and I love the light and dark in it.

Marie Flynn said...

Thanks Dayna, I really like this one too. Working on a second one, be sure to watch for it!

Karen Oliver said...

I really enjoy the colours in this one considering it is mostly green. I think you have done a wonderful job of depth, it made me put my nose close to the computer to see further in!

Marie Flynn said...

Thanks Karen,
Getting the depth part was a bit of a challenge,I had to lighten it somewhat in order to see the details inside.