Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Apples on Blue Blanket" 24x24 Acrylic on canvas

I was inspired to paint this still life of MacIntosh Apples on a blue blanket after seeing Paul Cezanne's painting, "Still Life with Apples and Oranges". He was one of the impressionist painters of his era and often painted still life paintings of fruit in his studio. The dark royal blue blanket and the use of it came to me as just an idea to pair up the complementary colors with the apples, and since most still life paintings I have seen with fruit or flowers, are often used with a table cloth or a tea towel. I wanted to do something different here.  As I was painting this, an odd thought entered my mind.  I thought about how food prices in our supermarkets have gone up lately, it may seem strange to be thinking about this during my painting session but I think the apples influenced that thought. Oh well! I enjoyed painting this one, especially the blue part. Hope you like it as well.

(March 21st, 2011)
P.S. A few friends of mine gave me another interpretation of this painting, which I find very interesting. It seems some of you may see the blue blanket as water,rather than a blanket and the apples bobbing along on top of the water. That's Great! I can go with that interpretation as well. I find it interesting that some people have seen it in that way. I'm glad this painting can also encourage the thought process.

2 comments:

Julia Ruffles | wildlife artist said...

fabulous colourful painting! great textures and tasty shiny apples, this one is so refreshing :) I look forward to following your blog, Jules

Marie Flynn said...

Hi Julia,Thank you for your comment and joining my blog. I'm so glad you like this painting.
All the best, Marie