Monday, October 11, 2010

"Poppy Triptych" 12x16 each Acrylic on canvas




This is my newest work. My inspiration to paint these textured poppies came from seeing the art of a well known Artist from the Daily Painters website. I have been following her work in recent months and I admire her talent and creativity. Her willingness to share some of her techniques prompted me to try it myself. I decided on keeping it simple by not adding any leaves at the bottom and instead keeping the focus on the textured flowers. The flowers are quite large on the canvases and they appear a little top heavy but I think it adds to it's abstract quality. I painted a soft light blue background to cool the orange reds of the flowers and did a wash over them using Iridescent copper mixed with Burnt Umber. I like how they turned out in the end. 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the shading and tones of the poppy triptych pictures, very soothing to the eye. I think you have captured the delicate nature of the petals. B.

Anonymous said...

I like these textured Poppies,they really stand out. Thanks,G