Thursday, November 24, 2011

"Salvaged" 16 x 20 Acrylic on Canvas


I originally began working on this painting back in the Spring of this year. At the time, I had a strong desire to paint a still life composition but I wanted to paint it from life rather than using a photo. Again, I visited the local Salvage Centre to see if I could find a few interesting objects to use in my painting. A Salvage Centre can be a fun place to find just about anything. Some unwanted stuff that I had found there as I was browsing, can be reused and recycled if they are in relatively good shape. If I find something that I like by way of color or that I find the shape interesting, I'll buy it. I know that at some point, I'll make use of it in my paintings. Pictured here is a tall blue vase, a small terra cotta cup with some fake flowers, a lovely butter yellow teapot (love the colour too!), a fake red leaf and a few polished stones. Everything here has a connection to each other, all are discarded and all are found again. Showcasing them in a painting, makes them loved.

2 comments:

Dayna said...

I LOVE this one Marie! Very well done. So much character in this painting and a lovely composition. It shows a lot of "you" in it even just by the objects you chose and how you set up the still-life. Beautiful colours too!

Marie Flynn said...

Thanks Dayna, had fun painting it!