Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Final Day of Acrylic Workshop"

It was day 2 and the final day of our workshop. Here we all are busy working on our paintings. You can see my pine easel with a carpet on the floor below it just to the right of the photo. Our instructor visited each and every one of us to see if we were doing alright.

Here, our instructor and artist, David Langevin, is demonstrating the application of glazes and veils using acrylic paint and glazing mediums. He applied the glazes in thin layers to the textures on the canvas and eventually building up more and more layers with different colors of paints and glazes until the painting is complete. We had to make sure to write everything down and to observe the process carefully before going back to our easels. Its not that easy to do this proceedure and takes some practice.


Here is the beginning stage of my highly textural painting. Spruce Trees is what we all did.  I went a little overboard on the molding paste but I love the texture I created with it.

Here is the next stage, with some of the glazes on. It looks strange at this point but is suppose to look better as you keep glazeing color on top of color. It's a fairly long process for a canvas this size which is 12"x30".

Kind of the finished product. I say "kind of" because I would have liked more time to work on it. I think I did everything right but I can't say that I really like my work on this painting. I know I could have done better if I had more time to work on it and at my own pace. But we were all there to learn new techniques and not create masterpieces as such, but rather create future ones using David's tips and techniques on glazes. This was a very enjoyable and informative weekend and I am hoping to be able to take more workshops with David in the future.
If you would like to visit David Langevin's website and see all of his beautiful paintings,
 just google David Langevin.com

2 comments:

Andi Keding said...

I love this painting... The colors and for process.

Marie Flynn said...

Hi Andi,

Thank you for your comment. I had a great time at this workshop and I sure learned a lot from David.
All the Best!
Marie